Well, 2022 is rapidly coming to a close. So … are we having fun yet?
In the business world we are notorious for putting fun last on our list of priorities as a New Year kicks off, and as a result, never getting to it. We’re so darn busy throughout the year trying to meet our annual objectives and “putting out fires” that we don’t set aside time to have fun.
With what we’ve suffered through these past few years that needs to change.
The negative trends in business as a result of the pandemic, downsizing, restructuring and economic uncertainty have collectively taken a huge toll on the workplace. And a huge toll on the workforce tasked with doing more with less.
We need to find creative solutions to reduce stress, improve productivity, keep employees engaged, and improve retention and morale.
Are you having fun yet? If not, here are some things to consider in order to put fun back into your work and workplace.
- Put fun first on your list of priorities, and the rest will start to fall into place.
- Laugh more. Laughter is a great medicine for what ails you and your workplace.
- Ring the bell. Celebrate successes, both large and small, and be spontaneous with recognition, praise and “thank you”.
- Get the “team” involved. Schedule off-site team building activities with employees, partners, customers and suppliers to keep everyone engaged.
- Release your inner child. Don’t be so serious all the time. Let others see the lighter side of your personality.
- Make the moments count. Live with the 3E’s – Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
- Find your happy place. Meditate, take mental health breaks, extended lunches, long weekends, etc. in order to refresh and re-energize.
- Get to the gym. Make daily exercise an integral part of your work-fun activities.
- Keep things in perspective. Your work is a means to an end, not the end!
Regardless of where you are in your career, if you’re not having fun – what’s the point? Life is too short to not enjoy what you are doing. So find a way to put fun into your work-life in 2023 and beyond, or do something else.
Enjoy the journey!
COPYRIGHT © 2022 John Carroll